Tuesday, 4 March 2014

The Firsts............Part 1.

Well, these last few weeks in the Jonty household have been interesting . It's been a time of 'firsts'. Trying new things are fab! I love it that FD pushes herself, despite her fears, to get something done. Yes of course we have the 'pre-first meltdown' and then we have the 'post-first meltdown' and then I drink wine! All in that order! We are very predictable!

So, just what has FD been getting up to that has had me reaching for the wine bottle more in celebration than in an 'oh God beam me up Scotty' way? Gosh, there is so much to tell you I don't know where to begin so I'll do it in separate blog posts! (Sneaky plan to keep you coming back for more!)

Well, a few months ago we learned that FD would need braces on her teeth. We did not relish this prospect because given that FD has some sensory issues, we knew that having the brace fitted would be difficult for her. That, combined with the fact that she suffers from regular and severe mouth ulcers would further complicate how she would cope. Of course, we still had to get over the huge hurdle of her actually lying on the dentists chair long enough to get the thing fitted in the first place. 

So, the day of her appointment it was with some apprehension that we arrived at the orthodontist. However, once in the chair, FD was given the option, by the dentist, to have me wait outside in the waiting room. I nearly had a heart-attack. But, obviously the woman knew what she was doing. She had enough faith in FD's ability to cope that I realised that I had to have enough faith in her ability to read the situation correctly. To my shock and delight FD ordered me out of the room! So, for the next 30 minutes I sat in the waiting room. I tried to read my book. I couldn't concentrate. I tried to read the newspaper. I felt sick. I asked the receptionist to switch off the radio so I could hear if FD was getting distressed. Finally, I was called into the dentists room. And what sight was before me..............FD sitting up and smiling a big smile with a pink and purple sparkly brace on her bottom teeth!

Words cannot describe how proud and slightly overwhelmed I felt. FD was looking suitably smug. As was the dentist! Not only had my daughter undergone a procedure, albeit a minor one, but she had done it without me hovering over her worrying. What the experience has taught me is this............sometimes we just have to trust someone else to make a judgement call and shove us out of the room!! Quite often, as parents of our wonderfully special kids, we find it hard to let go. Hard to give them some ownership of a situation. Hard to let them grow up. But, in the wee dark recesses of our brains and our very fragile hearts, we know that we have to. It just hurts to have to!

So, how is my little superwoman doing? Well, she did find it very hard to adjust to the brace for the first few days. Her poor mouth hurt a lot and she got upset. She is taking all the instructions she was given about looking after the brace very seriously. It now takes us half an hour to brush her teeth every morning and every evening! We have to go back and get a brace fitted to her top teeth in a couple of weeks so I get to do this all over again! I'll be wearing my super strong superwoman knickers that day too!

8 comments:

Lynne said...

You certainly have a wonderful way with words - I could picture you and your daughter at the dentist!

Anonymous said...

Well done to her!!! And you for letting go for a bit!! Believe me, I know how hard that is!!! Not sure if there's not a wee bit of control freak in us! LOL!! �� Andrea x

Patricia said...

A wonderful accounting, as always! Bravo to you both!

Looking for Blue Sky said...

She's growing up and growing in confidence, well done to both of you xx

Bright Side of Life said...

Wow, what wonderful news. I am really thrilled for the both of you. Damn, wish my boy was as accommodating, he needs braces but I don't see it happening. He also suffers from bad mouth ulcers, not nice.

Mrs K said...

Go FD!!!

Heather said...

Hi there! My name is Heather and I was wanted to know if you could email me about a quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

Chris said...

Yup! Don’t we sometimes wish we could just take on the travails of our kid? But you’re right. At times we need to learn how to trust some people and how to let go of our kids and learn for themselves some of the ups and downs of a crazy world. And you know what? For the most part, they come out OK.